Who do I contact for:

Emergencies: 911

DriveWay Permits, contact Town Chair for Township Roads,
County Roads Driveway Permits contact Columbia County, State Roads Drive Way Permits Contact State of Wisconsin

Town Road Issues, contact Town Chair or Supervisor I or Supervisor II or Town Clerk

Fire Number Sign (EMS) replacements, contact Town Chair

Fire Works Permits contact Supervisor I. In the Forms Section there is a Fire Works Permit Form to complete to apply

Special Event Permits contact Supervisor 1. In the Forms Section there is a Special Event Permit Form to complete to apply

Noise Ordinance issues contact Supervisor I or the Town Chair

Dog Licenses To obtain a Dog License Application Form and Dog License, contact the Town Treasurer.

Add Agenda Items to Town Meetings contact the Town Clerk a minimum of 7 calendar days prior to the meeting date.

Burning Permits can be obtained from the Portage Fire Department or contact the DNR 608.935.1929 http://dnr.wi.gov and notify Portage Fire Dept. prior to burning. (Click Here)

FAQ Page:

Garbage & Recycling

The Town of Fort Winnebago does not provide garbage services, you will need to contract with a private carrier for pick up.

Burning Barrels can be used in the Town of Fort Winnebago.

Columbia County solid waster recycle website: http://www.co.columbia.wi.us/columbiacounty/solidwaste/DropoffLocations/tabid/505/Default.aspx

Columbia County Recycling & Waste Processing
W7465 Hwy 16
Pardeeville, WI 53954

Phone: (608) 742-6651
Fax: (608) 742-6256

Portage recycling sites are located at:

Hwy 51/16 at the Intersection of Highway P
East end of Washington Street, across from the City Garage
Highway 16 East across the Highway from the Pacific Town Hall
(5 miles south of Portage)

What is the local school district for the township? Portage Community School District , 2505 New Pinery Rd,Portage, WI 53901-1132, (608) 742-2165

Who is the Town's Fire Department? City of Portage Fire Department http://www.portagewi.gov/index.asp?SEC=2303595D-D49B-426E-AEF0-0DABEBB63D37&Type=B_BASIC

What is the nearest Hospital? Divine Savior Healthcare (Hospital & Emergency Room)
Address: 2817 New Pinery Rd, Portage, WI 53901
Phone:(608) 742-4131

Why does the Township send out invoices for Fire Department Calls? The Township's Ordinance 10.06.2014 authorizes the township to bill for all fire call expenses. This includes 911 emergency responses to automobile accidents, fire department services, and fire calls within the township. The property owner or owner of the vehicle related the Fire Department dispatched to is responsible for the payment of the this service.

I didn't call the Fire Department why should I pay this bill? Whenever Columbia County Emergency 911 Operators receives a call related to an vehicle accident, fire, pr determine the Fire Department is needed for this emergency event they will automatically dispatch the Fire Department. This is standard operating procedures. The calls are not billed to the individual placing the 911 call, they are sent to the property owner or owner of the vehicle.

The Fire Department didn't even show up why am I being billed? Whenever Columbia County Emergency 911 Operators receive a call related to a vehicle accident, they will automatically dispatch the Fire Department. If the Sheriff's Department arrives on the scene of the accident and notifies the 911 Operator, they will cancel the Fire Department Call. The Fire Department may have already left the station, and are told to return, you will receive a bill for this expense.

Why doesn't the Township pay for Fire Calls, shouldn't this be part of my property taxes I pay? The Township does not pay for the response calls, they are billed directly to the property owner. The Township Annual Budget covers Fire Department administrative expenses, equipment maintenance, and equipment replacement.

Fire Calls are expensive what should I do? Contact your insurance agent regarding your homeowners or business insurance policy to confirm that your policy will cover the Fire Department Call Costs. Some insurance companies will require an additional rider or attachment to your policy for this coverage.

What if I want to do a controlled burn? Please notify the Non Emergency Fire Department Number to notify them on the date/time and location of the controlled burn. You may also be required to obtain a burning permit.